Articles may contain affiliate links. This means that if you purchase an item from my links, I may earn affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
All Scripture references come from the King James Version of the Holy Bible (KJV)."
All Scripture references come from the King James Version of the Holy Bible (KJV)."
Have you ever wanted a list of the best Rainy day activities for adults?
Well, I aim to please! While we’re no longer stuck indoors due to the COVID-19 trauma, there’s still never a bad time to share with you my list of rainy day activities for adults. I know that it’s frustrating to be stuck inside, whether it’s rain, snow, illness or quarantine. But thankfully, this recent time of difficulty and social distancing has passed, and now we can just talk about rainy day ideas. Sound good?
So what do we do when we’re stuck indoors? What kind of adult rainy day activities can we do that gives us alternatives to watching TV all day or scrolling mindlessly through Facebook? We need some fun things to do on a rainy day for adults. Am I right?
I have scrolled the internet to find 75+ of the best rainy day activities for adults that I could find. I’ll be honest. I was pretty impressed at some of the virtual options that are available. (I added the plus, because I continue to find fun things to add to this list. I hope you don’t mind😉)
I realize that we don’t always want to be attached to our technology as the only option. And you won’t. But there’s some pretty cool ways to plug into what would normally be a fun, indoor activity.
So without further ado, I present to you…
75+ of the best rainy day activities for adults
Before we start with some fun, rainy day ideas, my normal go-to is to make sure everything is orderly in my home. I have an aversion to clutter and hold fond memories of an activity called the 27 Fling Boogie I used to do with the kids. (Side note, my kids, when younger, didn’t mind clutter or having no space in which to walk to get from one side of the room to the other.)
The concept of the 27 Fling Boogie comes from the FlyLady. I fell in love with her systems back when I had hands and could implement them. So if you love organization, you owe it to yourself to check her out.
- Clean your house and do some spring cleaning
- Read a new book. I highly recommend Victory Over Affliction: 30 Days of Mindset Challenges to Motivate You, written by yours truly. It’s the pep talk you need, right when you need it most
- Journal about anything and everything
- Start a side hustle. Here’s a great list of ideas
- Start a blog
- Check out The Butterfly Box – which is a community of women
pursuing Jesus and growing in faith while giving back to the cause of Christ. Be sure to use Code EXCEPTIONAL20 for 20% off your 1st subscription box. I’m a huge fan of subscription boxes and this one does not disappoint.
Every rainy day gets better when you start with a positive mindset.
Grab your free My Exceptional Day Positivity Planner Page here.⤵️
What are some great things to do on a rainy day at home for adults?
- Study your Bible. This is a great study for weathering the storms of life.
- Call your friends and family members
- Write a letter
- Put together a prayer journal and pray
- Play video games
- Binge watch a new show on Hulu or Netflix
- Discover some new podcasts
- Clear away the clutter and donate it to charity
- Color – with these coloring books
- Paint By Number – Use Coupon Code OEL10 at checkout to save 10% on all these beautiful adult paint kits
- Make a DIY project
- Bake a quarantine cake
- Put together a bucket list
- Start a gratitude journal
- Learn some new recipes. I love The Pioneer Woman. But a simple search on YouTube will help you locate anything.
- Learn some magic tricks. YouTube has great tutorials for pretty much any skill you’re looking to learn
- Play cards. Our son introduced us to this fun game called Unstable Unicorns. What a blast!
- Make a time capsule
- Clean out your refrigerator and freezer
- Have scavenger hunts
- Start your Christmas shopping online. Here’s my One Exceptional Life Amazon Storefront. Please bookmark it for future shopping trips.
- Video chat with friends, with Skype, Zoom or my personal favorite, Facebook Portal. If you’re interested in a Portal, just email me or Messenger me and I can send you a discount for 20% off. I would put the link here, but since it’s a Facebook product, I can only send you the referral link through Messenger. It’s not just rainy day fun for adults, this is my new favorite product for keeping in touch with every family member, regardless of age. In fact it offers an incredible way to participate in story time with the grand babies. You truly have to see it to believe it.
What to do on a rainy day for adults that you can find online
The interweb has become an incredible resource for just about anything you’re looking for. That includes any of the things to do on a rainy day for adults.
- Host virtual parties with Zoom
- Learn sign language from YouTube videos
- Learn to knit from YouTube videos or Creativebug, which incidently offers classes in all sorts of fun hobbies.
- Try some new crafts. This is a great face mask tutorial that will give you an option if you cannot find face masks to purchase. While you’re at it, make some for friends and family or donate to those in need.
- Learn to play the guitar – through the popular guitar maker, Fender
- Learn how to arrange flowers After you check out that YouTube video, check out the other videos that Jennifer has. Full disclosure, I stumbled across her, but she’s fabulous!
- Learning a new language with Duolingo online or through your app store is another fun rainy day idea
- Play the Stuck at Home Scavenger Hunt, it’s a DIY scavenger hunt that you can do at home and play against the world
- Stream a live digital yoga class available on YouTube
- Memorize Scripture with these free Overcoming Struggles Scripture Cards. Grab yours right here.⤵️
Fun educational adult rainy day activities
This next section gives you ideas of places you might like to explore in person, but for one reason or another, you can’t. Whether they’re closed, located far away or just something that peaks your interest, I believe you’ll be surprised by some of these rainy day ideas.
- Explore virtual museum tours from the comfort of home
- Take a virtual tour of national parks through Google Earth
- Join a virtual choir – The Sofa Singers
- Search the internet for places you want to travel to
- Go check out YouTube and find something new that you can learn
- Tour The Metropolitan Museum of Art online
- Virtual cooking class with Nonna – a live 2 hour pasta tutorial presented by an 84 year old Italian grandmother
- Play an online game with friends, Words with Friends, Fortnite, or Fairway Solitaire
- Watch live animal cams
- Watch Broadway plays and musicals through online streaming
Things to do on a rainy day for adults
- Sign up for a happiness course, The Science of Well Being, I’m recently took this one personally. This is through Coursera. With Coursera, you can take online courses created by leading universities and companies like Yale, Google, the University of Michigan, and much more.
- Learn something new from Udemy
- Join Masterclass and learn some interesting things from your favorite celebrities
- Take free courses at Ivy League schools
- Read some new blogs, some I recommend are Resounding His Love, Warrior Women, Pray with Confidence, and Faith Plus Family.
Rainy day ideas for adults for when you’re stuck indoors
- Download the TikTok app and lose yourself in some hilarious videos. I particularly like the dog ones.
- Learn any one of the TikTok dances that are trending
- Play board games. Some of my favorites are Monopoly, Risk, Pass the Pigs, which if you’ve never played before, is hilarious and a personal favorite.
- Have an indoor picnic
- Make beef jerky or dehydrate your other favorite foods with this cool kitchen tool
- Support a local restaurant and order takeout
- Rake your yard (Ok, not so much for a rainy day. But it’s a great, and one of those sometimes fun activities for adults.)
- Go for a long walk with your dog, rain or shine, because they need it
- Create and listen to a new playlist
- Create a dream board of a vegetable or flower garden and prepare for summer. My friend Anna, offers a great Garden Planner on her site.
More indoor activities for adults
- Sing Karaoke – Have you ever checked out all that is free on Roku? This is just one of many things that’s available.
- Do a puzzle
- Create a vision board
- Try out a new meal kit service. Here is a review of the Best meal kit food delivery services of 2020
- Have a spa day. Check out this really cool hand, foot, nail and face spa set, manicure nail set, and nail polish set.
- Try out a new hairstyle
- Rearrange your furniture
- Send a care package to someone who could use a pick me up
- Clean out your closet
- Do crossword puzzles or sudoku or any other word games
- Start a scrapbook (here’s some supplies, you’ll need).
- Put together or update your budget
- Watch a movie marathon (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Fast & Furious, etc)
- Last, but not lease, be sure and build some fun and very important daily habits needed for getting closer to God. Grab this checklist to help you get started.⤵️
There you have it. I have just given you a really great list of fun rainy day activities. I challenge you to pick something new to try when you are looking for things to do when you are stuck at home.
Now that the period of social distancing is over, you no longer have any reason to be bored. Even so, it’s given us opportunities to be more cultured and talented. Hopefully, you have picked up more fun hobbies. You are more organized and connected and have learned new recipes. And a great byproduct is that the quarantine has given you the chance to get all your Christmas shopping done for the year.
Most of all, you will always have a great list of resources for rainy day activities for adults that you can share with people that you know and love.
Do you still wonder about what to do on a rainy day for adults?
So, what new inside activities for adults have you found on this list that you can’t wait to try? Be sure to leave them in the comments below. I’m excited to add to my list.